Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Retired and Still Loving

Is retirement the answer to all our problems? It may not be but is a great way to live. It seems like I have learned to relax and even gotten to the point where I look at life a little different. When I decided that it was finally time to retire and quit working. I figured I had the retirement check coming in (from CF), my 401k/retirement money that I put in the market and then my Social Security check and I could make it.

Then the market went in to the dumpster and it was back to the budget for some necessary adjustments. I was like all of us that had money in the stockmarket, I took a big hit. I lost about 40% or so and that was my spending money for many years of pleasant and active retirement. The cash I was going to get from selling my house and paying off my mortgage was going to add to that nest egg. Alas, the housing market is down and I can't sell the house and get much from that so I will continue to rent it out and pay the mortgage payment that way. Wow, if I had decided to retire in August instead of April I think I would have stayed working and suffered a slow and painful death as a result of "burn out".

I will watch my budget and curb some of the trips and expenses and survive as best I can. I have my photography and learning to take great photos to help me enjoy life. I have the thrill of surfing the net and keeping up events to keep me occupied. Of course, I have the love of a good and very fun lady to keep me happy and smiling. Life is Good!!

I have talked with some of the people I have worked with and they ask how retirement is treating me and I say great. I was ready in so many ways to relax and enjoy retirement and I think I had thought it out and planned in some many ways and now it is working out. I realize now everyone can retire now or may not even want to retire now but it is a great institution and I think it is good to be on a slower pace with a little less stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment