It is almost embarrassing to think it has been 6 months since I did anything on this blog. I am not sure if I have just been real busy or I have just been real lazy. A lot has happened since Feb but you wouldn't know it by my entries in this blog. I have been studying photography more by reading books, attending local workshops, going out and practicing or doing photo drills and even traveled to the East Coast for a photo workshop and vacation. I have found that photography is lots of fun and interesting and can be rewarding but can also be very time consuming and can get expensive if you don't watch it.
It is hard to decide the type of photography I like best or which one I want to concentrate on. Of course, landscapes are always beautiful to look at but they can be almost the same old thing, 'seen that before', and portraits can be very tricky and you need an interesting subject or model. I have started to get a real interest in the abstracts and still life images. Some times it is the catching the unusual angle or view of a familiar object or getting a real close up of it. Now of course night or low light photography is real interesting and can be real rewarding. With night photography you see things a little different or with a different color or appearance than you do during the daylight or when it is fully lit.
Now to bring you up to date a little more than just saying I'm doing lots of photos. Suzanne and I went to Savannah in April and I attended a one week photo workshop. It was very informative and fun and meeting and talking with other photographers was interesting. I seems a little strange to call myself a 'photographer' but since I am retired and not working and doing a lot of photography related things I guess maybe I am a photographer. In the workshop we were given hints to making good photos, composition and lighting etc., and also taught how to present your photos and "tweek them" slightly to improve their impact or appearance. It was fun to go out to various sights and take photos and then come back and look at people's work and discuss them and critique them and have mine reviewed. After the workshop we spent about a week or so in Charleston just enjoying the sights and loving the food.
I picked up a lot of pointers and even got so hooked on it I signed up for another one later in the year. The next one is in Yosemite and it will be in December. Might not be the smartest idea to volunteer to go out in the snow and cold in December but there are so many great scenes of Yosemite that I should be able to get some real keepers. It seems funny to be out shooting photos with a purpose and getting instructions on how to make them better and enjoying it and appreciating the results. It is a great hobby and keeps me off the streets at night (except to take some photos).
Well, I am going to try and add to this blog more often and work on my website, www.davesutherlandphoto.com , a little bit too. Now that I have got the website going, I am try to make it look a little more professional and appealing to others. Drop by and visit the site when you get a chance.
ENJOY
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment